You can start a non-judicial foreclosure in CA and AZ if you (i)  are the beneficiary, or assigned beneficiary of a Note (a promise to pay) (ii)  the Note is secured by a Deed of Trust which encumbers real property and (iii) the  borrower has defaulted under the terms of the Note , such as failing to pay the monthly payment, taxes, or insurance or other reasons which may be defined as a default under your loan documents